"...God hath made me to laugh, so that all that hear will laugh with me."

- Gen. 21:6

Tuesday, May 12

getting organized

So I have this awesome walk-in pantry in my kitchen and we're working on getting our food storage compiled. I wanted a way to organize and keep track of what we have and need without having to inventory the complete pantry every few months and I came across a few ideas online... I put my own "OCD" style on one idea that I found and I think it'll work good for us! I came up with 7 categories (but I'm sure I'll add more later...) of food items like; veggies, fruits, soups/sauces, etc. and then made a folder/pocket for each one out of scrapbooking paper. Then I have index cards for each item (i.e., canned corn 15 oz., or frozen corn 5lbs, etc.).
As I use an item I pull the index card and put it in a pocket marked "shopping" and when I do my grocery list I just pull all the cards of items I've used so I can restock without cutting into my supply too much!

I even have colored ribbon or cards for each category so the items stay in the right place...(like I said, my own "OCD" style). Each card will list how many I have of that item & what size so when I go to replace it I get the same thing...

It works in theory, but we'll see how well it goes as my food storage grows!

2 comments:

Amy Blue said...

awesome! let me know how that goes. I really like that idea and it seems quick.

The Sweet Life of Us said...

i am so behind! happy birthday! How exciting to be having another boy. i cant beleive your already 7 months prego. its making me feel like my 6 more to go is going to take forever. all the pictures of your house look like is beautiful. im happy that you get to be a stay at home mom. you deserve it!