"...God hath made me to laugh, so that all that hear will laugh with me."

- Gen. 21:6

Monday, January 28

Burden or Blessing?

It's amazing to me just how much a baby has to learn...that a lot of things aren't just natural. For instance, Chase has GERD and the first couple weeks of giving him his medication landed more on his clothes than in his mouth...he had to learn how to push the liquid back in his mouth to swallow! Now, we're tackling the Goliath-sized task of teaching him how to fall asleep on his own. I've found that I don't have as much patience as I thought I did (especially on such minimal sleep) so it's difficult not to just pick him up and rock him myself rather than go through this lesson each day.I know once he's learned how to fall asleep my life will get quieter...right?! I'm also looking forward to the day when he sleeps through the entire night! We got a 7 hour stretch out of him once, but he was apparently just teasing us as he hasn't done that again. One of my favorite quotes goes something like this, "It's not our burden, it's our blessing." And, that's exactly how I look at things now! It's a blessing to be going through these trials as it means we have Chase, and it's blessing because it means I'm the one at home with him; teaching him these things; rather than someone else- a babysitter- because I am fortunate enough to be able to stay home and not work right now.

No comments: